Monday, September 6, 2010

Two things I will NEVER get over

There are two things that I will never get over seeing here in China. I feel they still shock me and tickle me with hilarity. The first. When it is hot, and these days it mostly is, the air is sticky, muggy, smoggy and almost completely unbearable. And in this state, men in China have a tendency to feel it is entirely above bar, to roll up their shirts (curling the material inwards of course) to cool off. But, not ONLY to cool off, these men often proceed to rub their belly as if just easing into their second trimester and lovingly contemplating the life within. Strange, so strange. As well, many men here have tatoos on their belly and front chest, so it is not just a phenomenon, it also becomes a lovely art exhibit for all to see:) Also, men don't simply restrict their 'shirt rolling, tummy rubbing' habits to parks, beaches and pools, in fact, I have only been to one of the three and seen no cases present. The ones I have had the privilege of witnessing, have been in restaurants, at banks, in malls and grocery stores, along with busy city streets. I will never tire of this, nor not look twice to grin and wonder.
The second. I will never not be shocked and bewildered by toilet training practices in China. Diapers, cloth, plastic, doesn't matter, are pretty much non-existent here. Chinese babies are trained from birth, to listen to the cool shivering whisper of their mother hissing in their ear to provoke their bladder to purge. In order to do this quickly and efficiently, instead of wrestling with a child's pants and maneuvering through undies and such, boys and girls don what I would like to deem "Chinese baby chaps". Strangest thing ever. I don't really know why they wear the chaps at all. Bum and bits are fully exposed, in the open, whether the child is trucking around on their own, or being held in an elder's arms. I tend to be constantly curious, if once a child has graduated from their 'chaps' to pants, they might have serious problems if they ever heard the hissing of another mother nearby, provoking their own childhood conditioning. I have also wondered if, since all Chinese have been trained this way, it might be a serious problem if I wandered around town, lightly hissing as I passed by. I wonder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had a delightful chuckle at this "descriptive " picture you painted with words.

Thank you,
love mom