Thursday, October 21, 2010

Its Friday....

...and this week I couldn't be more ready for it. Lots of changes coming up soon. Mid-term exams for the students, big events happening, changes in protocol for staff that make things quite interesting, new classes for term 2 within semester 1 and a LOAD of marking. But its Friday, oh heaven its Friday. Hopefully this weekend will hold some rest, some less stress and some lovely bike rides with my most fantastic husband. This is short for now since I have to jet to class, but one of the highlights of my week was that I finally earned my Chinese name, though earned really isn't the right word, most of the time you just ask someone to name you. So my friend Magic, who is from Tianjin, decided to name me Xin Yi. (Said "Shin Yee, with a rising tone on the end. It is a type of flower and a popular name in Taiwan, so I am a little more original here.) Ben and I have also had the privilege of naming some of our friends here. Our happy taxi driver in Chungdu, we named him Jake, because he reminded us of a friend we know back in Comox. Another we named Kate, something simple and sweet. And another we chose Emily. It is quite fun and interesting naming someone else, though I can't imagine how parents do it. Easy to name someone who can just change their name again in a week, harder to name someone who has to stick with it for a lifetime. Glad my parents chose well:)

1 comment:

afterthoughtcomposer said...

wow this is fascinating! I instantly wondered what they would name me.

miss you!
a.