Sunday, November 14, 2010

Its always New Year's Eve in China

Without fail, everyday that I am here, I am caught off guard by the loud bang and pop of fireworks bellowing in the sky. No wonder China, when performing at Symphony of Fire, always surpasses every other country in their efforts to make a magically wondrous spectacle. And here, it doesn't really matter if it is late, or early, or noon or midnight, the fireworks continue. Along with fireworks, being the sign of a happy celebration, people also believe they scare away bad spirits, so since our area is TEDA, the developing area, there are many buildings being established, and apparently many spirits to scare away so buildings must come to good fortune and good safety, or something of the sort I suppose, and fireworks are apparently the remedy. From our high above the rooftops perch, on the 29th floor of our TEDA apartment, we often have the perfect placing for gazing upon the light shows. No looking upwards, or even a little angled up, we are right in line with, if not looking down upon the little spurts and prances of light. Quite lovely though, last night, we were riding our bikes to dinner downtown, and fireworks were bursting a little ways in the distance, the crisp air stung my nose, and for a moment I had the nostalgic feeling of being back in Canada, with family, in holiday season, sitting back to enjoy a light show, holding some hot cocoa with a splash of eggnog and cuddling in for a silent moment of awe. I know that we will miss moments at Christmas and New Year's this year, and it will be desperately hard to not have them as old comforts, but I am glad to keep them in my heart and greatly look forward to new nostalgia as we move into some new adventures and memories.

1 comment:

mom said...

Hello,
Chloe would love to be there for all the fireworks, she loves them as there is nothing like them in Malawi.
I too AM STARTING TO STRUGGLE REGARDING Christmas. I am feeling the absence of you two and not really knowing what our season will look like with everyone here. First year no one living here. It feels weird.
I am planning mode for January - I need Gary to help me figure out dates to book our flight Hong Kong to Bangkok. Will keep you posted.
Love Mom